Increased attacks on S Sudan health facilities, workers

Everyone and everything is a target in South Sudan’s civil war, as attacks against health facilities and aid workers increase, a new report said.

At least 50 medical institutions were attacked in 2016 and 2017, said the report released Monday by the New York-based Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict. In at least 750 incidents over the same period humanitarian access was denied by various armed groups, including government troops.

Both government and opposition forces have deliberately destroyed, burnt, looted and occupied hospitals and clinics and detained, abducted and killed medical personnel and aid workers as a tactic of war, according to the report, based on more than 90 interviews and focussing on the Greater Upper Nile, Bahr el Ghazal and Equatoria regions.

“I have never seen anything like what I saw in South Sudan. Parties to the conflict are attacking health care and regularly denying humanitarian access in tandem. The result has been man-made public health crises such as cholera and famine and the most vulnerable, children, are the most impacted,” Christine Monaghan, a research officer with the Watchlist, told The Associated Press.

She called it a “sharp rise” from previous years, putting South Sudan in the company of places like Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan. One study by Human Rights Watch documented 48 attacks on health services over a 17-year period, from 1997-2014. South Sudan’s civil war began in December 2013.

A community leader stands in what used to be one of the main medical centres, but is no longer operational after being looted and damaged in Lainya, South Sudan, November 8, 2017. – AP

The effects of the five-year conflict are far-reaching. The fighting killed untold tens of thousands, displaced millions and plunged parts of the country into famine. The East African country’s already fragile health care system was devastated.

By the end of last year at least 20 per cent of South Sudan’s 1,900 medical facilities had been shut down due to the fighting, leaving 70 per cent of civilians without access to adequate health care, according to the United Nations.

Armed men looted health facilities in Wau County “taking drugs, equipment, the generator, even the roof, the windows and the doors. Of course no services are being delivered,” Dr Edmund Sebit, senior medical officer at the teaching hospital in Wau city, told the AP during a visit last year.

Both the government and the opposition denied attacking medical facilities or using them as military bases.

“It’s not SPLA’s policy to attack or destroy social amenities,” army spokesman Lul Ruai Koang told AP.

source: borneobulletin